DIY Snow Globes or How Ideas Happen


I was so pleased with myself after designing my tiny snow globe necklace.  I've been making jewelry with these tiny glass vials for years.  Still, I'd never done this before and I thought it would be a quick and easy craft for virtually anyone to recreate.  It took me a while to figure out how to get the tree tiny enough to fit inside of the vial...yet someone else had the same idea and same solution.  Derp.  So much for my "original" idea!


My DIY Snow Globe Necklace for iLoveToCreateblog.blogspot.com
Snow Glass Orb Bauble from My Sugarspun Sister on Etsy
Snow Globe Necklace from Jen of Eat/Sleep/Make(also at her shop on Etsy!)
Winter Wonderland Snow Globe Necklace from Bev of Flamingo Toes for Tatertots and Jello 
ALSO check out this Snow Globe Necklace Video Tutorial from Debi's Design Diary

Here I thought myself so incredibly clever coming up with this design.  In fact, a lot of folks have come up with this design.  I simply hadn't seen it yet.  I know it may seem shocking, but I don't actually spend my days looking at DIY blogs.  I'm usually busy creating.  Plus, I am always mindful of seeing something out there and forgetting that I saw it and taking ownership of the idea.  It happens.  I really had not seen this idea before, yet here it is all over the internets.  I figured I'd share a round-up of these DIY Snow Globe necklaces.  Every one has their take on them, and they're all adorable.

I think it's important to remember that we're all trying to come up with that "viral" idea and in seeking that, it is entirely possible for multiple people to independently come up with the same idea.  That's what happened to me today. I am going to remember this the next time I think that someone else has 'stolen my good idea', because it's entirely likely they simply had the same or similar idea. Ideas are like that.  The right time, the right trend, the right combination of factors come together to make them ripe.  It's not really shocking that other people came up with this idea or even the solution to the idea.  I like all of these versions, so be sure to stop by and visit these folks and show them some love.  That's the wonder of DIY, creative folks have creative ideas and solutions and we're all tuned into that powerful creative force.

Good stuff.

Cheers,
Madge

2 comments:

debi beard said...

thanks for the share Madge! great round up of snow globe DIY'S!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

What a great post and reminder! Thanks so much for the feature too!