Free Recipes for Best. Salsa. Ever and Citrus Chicken Nachos!

If you make this meal...you'll feel just like these cats on this album cover. No, really.

Best. Salsa. Ever.
Madge’s Garden Fresh Cherry Tomato Salsa
Margot Potter


We love salsa around here and we wait all summer for the day we can finally make up a batch filled with fresh ingredients from our garden and our local farms. This past weekend my sister-in-law gave us a gallon bag of cherry tomatoes and that combined with the fresh haul from our garden made me wonder what might happen if I turned them into salsa? Well...I’ll tell you what...those sturdy and flavor packed little tomatoes make one heckuva flavorful salsa! Here’s my recipe! I’m not joking when I tell you this is without doubt the BEST salsa I’ve ever had. Yum.

Ingredients
1 gallon size bag of cherry tomatoes
Large bunch of fresh cilantro
Juice from 2 limes
1 large sweet onion
Three medium sized jalapenos (or any peppers you like in any amount you prefer)
Dash freshly ground pepper
Dash salt

1. Halve the cherry tomatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Dice the onions into large pieces. Place in bowl with tomatoes.
3. Use a large knife to dice up the top two thirds of a large bunch of cilantro. Add to tomatoes and onions.
4. Squeeze limes into mixture. (I like tart salsa. You can opt for only one lime or use white vinegar if you don’t love it tart and tangy!)
5. Dice jalapenos (remove the seeds first!) Add to mix.
6. Put entire mix into a food processor for about three pulses. You want to mix everything up but not turn it into soup!
7. Allow salsa to sit for several hours for full flavor.
8. Grab a bag of tortilla chips and get to dippin’!

I served this salsa with a South Beach friendly version of nachos topped with black beans, lo fat cheddar and shredded cilantro citrus chicken. We ate all of this up so quickly that I’m afraid I was remiss in taking photos. I think you know what nachos and salsa look like though!
Madge’s Cilantro Citrus Chicken Nachos
Margot Potter

Ingredients
2 large chicken breasts
Juice of 2 lemons
1/3 of a large bunch of cilantro
1/3 cup not from concentrate orange juice (or freshly squeeze orange juice)
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup water
8 oz. package of 75% fat free white cheddar cheese
1 large bag of fat free Tostitos or other lo fat tortilla chips
1 16 oz. can of black beans (rinsed)
Lo fat or fat free sour cream

1. Dice cilantro.
2. Combine with OJ, lemon juice, EVO, water.
3. Liquify marinade in food processor.
4. Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour.
5. Grill chicken.
6. Shred chicken with fork.
7. Rinse beans and drain.
8. Shred cheese.
9. Sprinkle chicken over fat free tortilla chips with black beans and cheese.

10. Bake in a 450 degree oven on a cookie tray until cheese melts.
11. Serve with lo fat or fat free sour cream and Madge’s Garden Fresh Cherry Tomato Salsa!

2 comments:

Tiffany - Quick Dinners said...

Yummmmmmy!! I have a love affair with cilantro! I can just eat it plain, so fresh tasting. I bet it's great on these nachos! I think I'll try something like this tonight.
Thanks.

SalsaGuy said...

When I saw your recipe, citrus chicken nachos, it really made my mouth water with anticipation. I will definitely recommend this at http://www.Homemade-Salsa-Recipes.com.