Retrofabulous Mixed Media Holiday Necklace


(Click on image to view close up)

The fab folks at EK Success sent me some of their GORGEOUS holiday stamps from the Inkadinkado line to try out. Those of you who follow my work know that I can't stop using my flourish stamp from Inkadinkado and these holiday stamps are sure to become regulars in my work too. The detail on them is AMAZING.

I began by stamping the reindeer clear stamp using jet black archival ink on a nice heavy weight cardstock in a fuchsia pink. (You could use this same idea on tissue or lighter weight paper to make some stunning wrapping paper and then whip up tags with cardstock to match!) I punched out the 2" circles and added accents of silver paint dabber with my favorite flourish and a writing stamp. I like to use stamps as textural elements so I'm not going for neatness on the accent stamps. Let the paint dry before the next step. I painted on some of Traci Bautista's Collage Pauge in Sparkle (just the right amount of glitter) and let it dry and then painted a second coat. I used a paintbrush because I like texture, but you can use a foam brush if you prefer a more even coat. I stuck them back to back with two sided tape runner tape and punched a hole in the top of each one. Then I attached to some of my fav Beadalon Quick Links chain with an array of CRYSTALLIZED-Swarovski Elements bicones (EK Success Jolee's Jewels has a great selection) and vintage beads.

.
This is a one of a kind design, the black glass flower beads are vintage and a gift from a friend. I hand picked the striated pink beads from dusty bins of beads at the Paris Flea Market. Luckily I had two larger pink beads to make some swingy earrings.


I think this design definitely fits into my Retrofabulous Christmas craft theme with the pink, black and silver color palette and the swingy circle motif. Therefore it's officially named Retrofabulous Holiday Necklace.

And to think it all starting with one simply divine stamp...

I'm thinking of selling this confection in my Etsy Shoppe...I may need to wear it out first for a test run. But if you're looking for some truly unique vintage beads and findings and one of a kind Madgecentric mixed media creations you really should check my shop out. I'm hoping to get some more retrofabulous goodies in there soon!

xoxo
Madge

9 comments:

kecia deveney said...

the deer stamp is great - so festive (but i love anything, deer!) and i love what you did with it. The collage pauge is cool; got check out that product.

TesoriTrovati said...

That is retrofabulous (how long before that word gets into the lexicon?). I love the color palette. Very holiday-ish but with an unexpected twist. Isn't test-wearing the items the most fun!? Thanks for sharing another wonderful project! Enjoy the day! Erin

Lisa Crone said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of your retro-anything pieces!! You have a wonderful and special flair!!

stacy McQueen said...

Your stuff is all so gorgeous (just like you) Honestly, what an eye you have for color & design! I LOVE IT!

Margot Potter said...

Wow, thank you gals! I'm blushing!

xoxo
Madge

Cyndi L said...

I love those reindeer! What a fun project :-)

Jean Bowler said...

Love the colors! And the reindeer stamp is neat. The grunge look you added looks like a snowstorm. Very nice effect. TFS.

Tammy said...

That happens to me a lot too...I get one item that seems to direct the rest of the piece some how.

Very cool too that you create a Christmas piece but used a non-traditional Christmas color palette.

Sherri said...

What a beautiful project and a neat stamp too! So much detail! Thanks for sharing.