I Love to Create Girly Boyfriend Jeans


Girly Boyfriend Jeans by Margot Potter for I Love to Create
(Click on image to view close up!)

Girly Boyfriend Jeans
Margot Potter for
I Love to Create Teens

Copyright 2009

Boyfriend jeans are back and I’m a happy camper. Luckily my hubby had this pair of perfectly worn in jeans he was going to take to Goodwill. Okay so technically they’re husband jeans, but stick with me because I’m going somewhere with this! The ‘boyfriend jeans’ in the stores are all artfully distressed and shredded and absurdly expensive, but you can find worn in jeans just like them at thrift stores for a song. Since these were kinda raggy looking, I thought I’d gussy them up a bit.

Enter Tulip Dimensional Paint, Tulip Fabric Spray, Tulip Glam It Up crystals, Fabric Fusion and my Sizzix Big Shot machine. Add some fun fabric I scored in Tokyo (don’t fret my pet you can find plenty of fab fabric on the interwebs and in retail stores.) Mix it all up and this becomes a project a teen will love to make their own.

Materials
One pair thrift store ‘boyfriend jeans’
Durable fabrics in coordinating colors with paints
Tulip
3-D Slick Fashion Paint (purple, coral, yellow, blazin’ blue, ‘lectric lime)
Aleene's
Fabric FusionTulip Glam it Up™ Crystals (clear in two sizes)
Tulip
Fabric Spray (neon pink and yellow)Sizzix Hello Kitty Bigz Die Daisies

Tools
Tulip Cordless Heat Setting Tool
Sizzix Big Shot

More Madge, More!
Add more crystals in a variety of colors. Decorate both sides of the jeans. Use fabric sprays and stencils to add layers. Paint more planned patterns and dots instead of splatters. Use masks to leave unpainted areas you can embellish in different ways. Add some blanket stitch with colorful floss around the flowers and the pockets. If you want more rips, use a razor blade (carefully) to slash holes across the fabric and then pop the jeans in the washer, instant fray!

Less...please.
These jeans looked cute just with paint splatters. You can opt for a single color or to use black and white. Skip the crystals and just leave the flowers simple and folksy. Just paint the cuffs and the back pockets.

1. Get a pair of ‘boyfriend jeans’ from the thrift store. If you want to distress them more use the razor blade tip above.

2. Begin with a layer of splattered paint. Cover the area under the jeans with plastic and gently squeeze and flick the paint on the front of the jeans until you’re happy with the results. Allow to dry.
3. Use Fabric spray in neon colors to add further color layers to the jeans.
4. Use the Sizzix Big Shot and the Hello Kitty Bigz daisies die to cut out fabric flowers.
5. Spread an even layer of Fabric Fusion on back of flowers and adhere to jeans. Allow to dry. (You can opt to tack these down further with some colorful embroidery floss.)
6. Place three crystals randomly in center of each flower. I used three large crystals on each large flower and three small on each small. Attach the crystals to the flowers by holding the hot end of the heat setting tool on the top of the crystals for 12 seconds.

* Next week my I Love to Create post will be on Friday because I’ll be joining in the fun of Terroriffic Tuesdays. So be on the look out for four free Halloween Themed teen craft projects on Fridays starting on October 2nd and a post with links to fab projects all over the internet every Tuesday! BOO!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very cool idea! Hmm, is it odd that I want to do this, and I'm not a teenage girl? Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Perkins said...

Dang it. After a weekend of using my Yudu and wiping ink off my hands and on to my thighs I was well on my way to a messier version of these jeans. I could have just added the flowers and the crystals and they would have been adorable. Alas they were old and worn out and yesterday I split the toosh. I wonder if Fabric Fusion could mend that? Super cute jeans and I want that Big Shot thing. Must look into that.

Margot Potter said...

Thanks, Craftysmith! Naw, I'm wearing these today.

They're really for any age.

xoxo
Madge

Margot Potter said...

Jen

Ha! That Fabric Fusion is amazing stuff. You need a Big Shot! It's awesome.

Cheers,
Madge

Mari said...

Now you're talking my generation! Of course I didn't have all the gadgets I have now...
Love them
Mari

Davinia said...

They're so hippy chic and 1960's, love them. You just need a VW combi van and you'll be right back there with the flower people.

Jenna McCarthy said...

OOOH! You hold the tool to the TOP of the crystals?!?!?! I bought that heat-setting tool yesterday and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to use it! (I'm in Mensa, too--I swear it.) It says to hold it upright, so the only way to heat the glue on the studs is to somehow drop them down ONTO it. So I tried to do this with needle-nose pliers, and the stud glued right to the side (of the pliers). Finally I said to-heck-with-the-upright-business and just turned the studs upside down and zapped them with the tool. This worked quite well to melt the glue, but then they were too hot to pick up!!! I think you just changed my life. :)