Variations on a Theme

All Eyes on You Mixed Media Recycled Paper and Quick Links Necklace copyright Margot Potter
Variation Copyright Angela Bannatyne
Mixed Media Paper and Metal Necklace Copyright Angela Bannatyne

My work has been expanding out from center since my second book. At the time, I didn't have a name for what I was doing, I was just restless. I wanted to make my own beads and components, not just string or wire someone else's creations. If you check out The Impatient Beader Gets Inspired, you'll find it is filled with ideas that would now fall into the "mixed media" category. At the time, it was simply a natural progression of my work, but some folks were rather confused methinks at what I was throwing down. I can recall quite clearly the owner of a very large jewelry making website poo-pooing that book completely. I wonder if she's reconsidered her assessment after seeing the surge in interest in mixing things up creatively!

I got an email yesterday from a lovely woman I met at Ranger U named Angela Bannatyne. Check out her blog! I wore my All Eyes on You necklace to class one day and everyone really loved it. Angela has a bead and paper crafting store in Florida and asked if she could do a version of it for the shop and I said absolutely as long as she gave me credit. Well check out what she did! Two fabulous versions! I love the papers and the colors and the yummy colorful beads Angela used! Simply fabulous!

This is why I do what I do...even if some folks scratch their heads in confusion...my goal is to inspire creative folks to forge their own new pathways. There will always be people who stand on the side of your work and make snide comments or try to pull you down...screw it. Do what you do in that glorious way that you do it and inspire others to do the same. Be ahead of your time, it's far more intesting than being behind the times!

What a boring, pedantic, grey world it would be if we all made the exactly same art. Snoresville, Daddio!

Thanks, Angela! You truly made my week! And if you, gentle reader, create something inspired by my work...please let me know and I'll post it here!

xoxo
Madge

1 comment:

Designs by Blanche said...

"There will always be people who stand on the side of your work and make snide comments or try to pull you down...screw it. Do what you do in that glorious way that you do it and inspire others to do the same. Be ahead of your time, it's far more intesting than being behind the times!"

Thank you so much for saying that! Sometimes the critical remarks attempt to get in the way of my creative thought process...it's hard, no doubt, but when I take control of the reins and let it flow, I am always satisfied with my creations. It's like it's in me and it has to come out. :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
-Blanche