Embossing on Slick Surfaces Mixed Media Technique

Stained Necklace and Earrings from Beyond the Bead Copyright 2009 Margot Potter


My new book Beyond the Bead is overflowing with fun and easy mixed media techniques for the jewelry maker. One of my favorites is using embossing powder on slick surfaces. I've embossed on acrylic, glass, frosted glass and even ceramic. You can seal the final result with a clear laminate so it doesn't chip.

1. Use a dryer sheet to clean your surface to remove any static electricity.
2. Get a rubber stamp with an interesting image that isn't too detailed or tiny. Stamp with an embossing medium.
3. Pour regular or ultra fine embossing powder on stamped image (on the surface you're embossing, not on the stamp!) Feel free to use colors if you like and even use a variety of colors for a varigated look.
4. Shake off excess powder on a scrap paper so you can put it back into the jar. Use an exacto knife to remove any stray particles. There will be a few that you won't be able to remove without damaging the image, I just let that go.
5. Use a heat tool to melt embossing powder.
6. Allow to dry.
7. You can (if you choose) use Alcohol Inks or Adirondack or other glass friendly pens to color the image in.
8. If you aren't sandwiching the image, use a clear laminate to seal it.

Tips:
Don't overheat plastic items or you'll end up with a melty mess! Some surfaces take longer to heat up, so be patient. Don't overmelt your powder, it's ready as soon as it turns glossy, you'll see it happen. Move the heat tool around to get the entire image. Don't use a hair dryer, it won't get hot enough, you need a heat tool designed for crafts!

(I used Ranger embossing medium, powder and inks and Diamond Glaze as a laminate.)

Here are a variety of projects I've done with this technique. I'd love to see what you do with this...so feel free to send a jpeg of your work to theimpatientcrafter@gmail.com and I'll post the images in my blog with a link back to you!


Earrings on Left Embossing Powder on Acrylic (earrings on right feature Earthenwood Studio beads)

Vintage Optical Glass Lens with Embossing Powder sealed with laminate from Beyond the Bead by Margot Potter copyright 2009

Glass frame from HHH Enterprises with Embossing Powder and Alcohol Inks From Beyond the Bead by Margot Potter for North Light Books Copyright 2009

Embossing Powder on Ceramic Copyright 2008 Margot Potter for Simply Beads

6 comments:

Chris said...

Holy Moly. This is really something I needed. I love these pieces, too. But I am just itching to work on this. Thanks!

TesoriTrovati said...

Hmmm...that is intriguing! I have some of those optical lenses and I forgot about them until now! I got rid of every last bit of stamping equipment I had a few years ago becuase I was "making jewelry" now and didn't need them. AcK! I did save my heat gun, so maybe there is hope for me...and a trip to the craft store! Thanks for the great ideas Miss Madge! You ARE Crafty Divalicious! Enjoy the day! Erin

Laura K. Aiken said...

I love this Margot! I know someone sells a product that will help with those stray embossing powders. Dang, I can't think of the name though. This will be fun!
Laura.

Lisa Crone said...

Oh my gosh, those stained pieces are wonderful!!! I wish you were my neighbor, you sure have excellent toys, I mean craft supplies!

By the way, I wanted to tell you, very sincerely, "THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING"! Not only are you multi-talented and blessed with personality, you are SUPER nice to spend time helping your fellow bloggers/crafters. That sure means a lot and is probably why are you so successful...good Karma.... :)

ohdawno said...

This is a wonderful and inspiring post - makes me want to go out and load up on everything I need to do my own. Maybe I should wait for payday tho...

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I've not had much success with heat embossing, though I have all the "right" tools. I think your tips will help!