Book Review: The Big Ass Book of Bling

Book Review 
The Big Ass Book of Bling 
Mark Montano 
Gallery Books
November 2012 
(Caveat: Mark is my BFF and he sent me this book to peruse.  If I didn't love it, I'd never have written this review.  If I didn't love it, I'd have shoved it in a drawer and pretended I never saw it.   I really, really love this book, almost as much as I really, really love Mark.)

Mark Montano does it again with his latest BIG ASS book bursting at the seams with creative inspiration for craftinistas and fashionistas of all ages! Using everything but the kitchen sink, Mark turns ho hom, hum drum everyday items into show stopping runway ready wearables with techniques absolutely anyone can master. The book is so big, so bold, so beautiful, I will be perusing it for months before I fully digest all of the crafty goodness inside! Mark sees the world in a totally unique way and his vision is reflected in every quirky, creative, one-of-a-kind design in this book filled with ideas that are sure to launch a million 'pins!'



Often copied, but never surpassed, Mark's creativity is so prolific his books offer ten times as many DIY design ideas as any other books on the market. They're the kind of books that you find yourself returning to over and over again. No one does it like Mark and no one does it better. Not to mention, his personality shines through every aspect of his books down to the cheeky text that will literally have you laughing out loud.

I could not possibly pick a favorite design, but a few worth a mention include The Rainforest Necklace which features oversize iridescent fringed leather leaves and, speaking of feathers, his safety pin embellished Feather Fantastique jacket is to die for fabulous. I would wear the Tin is In Necklace in a heartbeat, it looks like a piece straight off of the Paris runways and it's made of spray painted aluminum flashing, sheer genius! The upcycled Shruffle has me gleefully kerfuffled! The Waterfall Chain Choker is breathtaking in it's powerful simplicity. Giant plastic chain is layered with wild bits of neon cord to make the chic Twine and Twine Again necklace. Fused glass is artfully caged in wire and layered on hammered metal in the stunning Caged Gems necklace. I have to admit I gasped out loud at the Wood and Gold Leaf cuffs, just wow. There is so much to love in this book, I could wax poetic about every single page.

If you're looking for the ultimate gift for a crafty friend or a reference guide for outside of the box jewelry making ideas, this is it. Everyone from the novice to the seasoned jewelry maker will find something of value here. I can't recommend this book enough. It's absolutely fabulous, just like Mark Montano.

Margot Potter
The Impatient Crafter
www.margotpotter.com

43 comments:

Kris B said...

Hello from Mark Montano! He sent me! I love your blog!!

Unknown said...

Mark Says WAZ UP!

Unknown said...

Mark says WAZ UP! peace!

Annette said...

Hello,
Mark Montano sent me!!!!! I just Love your Blog!!! keep up the Great work!!!!

Unknown said...

Mark says WAZ UP


Unknown said...

mark says WAZ UP! peace

The Rambling Papercrafter said...

Wanted to say Hello!!! I was sent by Mark Montano. :)

Li'l Mz Knitz Alot said...

hello! from mark montano! told me to send some love! btw, ur page design is sweet!

The Rambling Papercrafter said...

Stopping by to say Hello!!! Mark Montano sent me over :)

Unknown said...

Hello Mark Montano Sent me!!!! I just Love your Blog!!!! Keep up the great work!!! Hugs Annette

Unknown said...

Mark says WAZZZZZZZ UPPPPPPPP!

Unknown said...

Hello!!! Mark Montano sent me!!! I just Love your Blog!!! Keep up the Great work!!! thanks

Noopur ke said...

Hello Mark Says WAz Up !!!

Tanya Knight Ruffin said...

I was sent by Mark Montano but ironically, I came here a few days ago and bought your e book!

Troop 3145 Silver Award said...

Hello from Mark Montano... It's Fiskars Friday!

Unknown said...

Mark Say's Hi!

Jessica Buffa said...

Hi Margot!!! Already a follower here at your blog. Great Book Review. Mark "Pappa Possum" says HELLO to you from him! Hugs and Crafty Christmas Wishes to you and yours!
:O)
Jessica S

Liz said...

Mark says Hello and happy friday :)

Liz said...

Mark says hello and happy friday! love your blog :)

eyes2theocean said...

Hello. Mark Montano sent me. Thank you. :)

Sar Tann

trd1965 said...

Hello from Mark Montano!!! Love your Blog!!

trd1965 said...

Hello from Mark Montano!!! Happy Friday! Love the Blog!

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Hello from Mark, and Happy Fiskars Friday!!

Unknown said...

Hello from Mark Montano! He sent me! I love your blog!!

Unknown said...

Hello from Mark Montano! He sent me! I love your blog!!

Unknown said...

Hello from Mark Montano! He sent me! I love your blog!!

Denise said...

HELLO MARGOT!! (From Mark) He sent me :)

Aleriena said...

Mark says hello Margot. :)

Rini Lee said...

Mark wanted me to tell you he says HI!!!

gelfling50 said...

Hey there Mark Montano sent me to say a big huge HELLO! to you from him

gelfling50 said...

HELLO to you from Mark Montano

Amy Martin said...

Saying Hello to you from Mark Montano!!!!

Nelda Brown said...

Hello. from Mark Montana. I will check out your blog. Have a great creative weekend. Nelda in Vegas!






K.D.Huddleston said...

Hello. Mark Montano says Hi. Hope you have a wonderful weekend

K.D.Huddleston said...

Hello. Mark sent me over to say Hi. Sooo umm HI. :)

Pat said...

Mark pointed me to your blog. He said to say hi. Love your blog.

DeAnn R said...

Mark Montano & I say hello! He's got great taste.

DeAnn R said...

Hi from Mark Montano & myself! He's got great taste.

TracyM #6773 said...

Sounds like a MUST HAVE book!!!
Waving "hi" from Mark Montano and me :)

Jean Bullock said...

Mark Montano sent me but I liked your blog so I joined it!

Unknown said...

Hello from Mark Montano! He sent me! I love your blog!!

Unknown said...

Hello from Mark Montano! He sent me! I love your blog!!

Disneyangel said...

Hello from Mark Montano. He sent me!!! Love your blog!!!