Free Jewelry Making Project #1: New Dimensions in Bead and Wire Jewelry Dragonmoon Choker

Dragonmoon Copyright 2010 Margot Potter From New Dimensions in Bead and Wire Jewelry
North Light Books July 2011

Well, it's here. My seventh book is out! It all started with an idea, which I turned into a formal query with sample designs, sold the book and then fine tuned the concept over the course of several months. I turned in my final designs last March. We shot the book last August. And now here we are, from concept to finished product.

I'm thrilled, of course, to see my idea come to fruition. It's a satisfying feeling.

I'm proud of this book and I think you will enjoy it thoroughly. There are some very different, yet simple to recreate techniques and inspirations. The pieces are sculptural and architectural in nature. It's a fresh take on both beading and shaping wire. Honestly, I had a different aesthetic vision for this book, far more stark and simple. The photo above is one of my shots. I want you to see that vision and the pictures I took of the designs. Stay tuned.

So without further blather, here is the first free project from my new book New Dimensions in Bead and Wire Jewelry! I will share THREE free projects here over the next three weeks, so stay tuned! I am quite fond of this design and of course, those who know me well know this little dragonfly was the start of my career, so I have essentially flown full circle.

Dragonmoon
Chapter 4
New Dimensions in Bead and Wire Jewelry
Margot Potter for North Light Books

This little dragonfly has become a recurring motif in my work. I have always been fascinated by dragonflies. This incarnation has a decidedly Asian feel. The pattern was an organic experience, I wanted to use the coral beads, but I wanted them to be removed from the neck where they might prove scratchy. I wrapped a second wire around the beaded core adding some blue glass rondelles which created a wave like effect. As I wrapped, I began to visualize a dragon’s tail and when I reached the end, I knew I had to make a little dragonfly to conceal the clasp and give this design a sculptural feel.

Finished Length: 16”

Materials
115 4mm pea green opaque Czech glass rondelles
133 small red coral fringes
101 4mm lt. topaz blue translucent Czech glass rondelles
8mm citrus green Lucite moonglow round
18 gauge non-tarnish silver Artistic Wire
24 gauge silver plated German style wire

Tools
Wire cutters
Chain nose pliers
Chasing hammer
Anvil or steel bench block
Bench block pad

1. Remove a 20” segment of 18 gauge wire. Turn a loop in one end. Slide on 115 green rondelles. Create a second loop in the end to secure beads.

2. Use the hammer and anvil or steel block to hammer the loops at each end of your beaded segment.

3. Wrap the 24 gauge wire in between the first and second green bead tightly.

4. String on 5 coral beads and 4 blue beads. Wrap wire tightly around the base between the sixth and seventh bead. Make sure the beaded segment is wrapping up and over the top of the wire. You will need to maintain that as you work, the idea is to keep the raised beaded segment from touching your neck.

5. Continue wrapping the coral and blue beaded segments between every sixth and seventh green bead on the core wire. Each beaded segment has six green beads beneath it.

6. When you reach the final beaded segment, secure the wire tightly around the end of your core wire. Cut off excess wire and tuck the tail flush.

7. Create your dragonfly by removing a 7” segment of 24 gauge wire. Slide the Lucite bead on the wire to the center.

8. Bend wire flush to each side of Lucite bead. Grasp the bead between your thumb and forefinger and hold the bottom of the wire tails in your opposite hand. Twist the bead one time.

9. Thread 18 coral beads on each wire tail followed by 8 blue beads. Wrap the wire tails around and over the top of the opposite wire tail as in picture. Repeat for both wings.

10. Thread one wire with 9 blue beads. Wrap the wire end back over the tail at the fourth bead and the third bead. Cut off excess and tuck wire into underside of tail.

11. Use the other wire to securely wrap dragonfly to the end of the core necklace.

12. Remove a 9”segment of wire. Thread a blue bead on the wire to 1.5” from the end. Fold the wire and grasp the bead in your thumb and forefinger. Twist the wire holding the wire ends securely as you work. Repeat this process two more times, each twisted segment should be slightly longer than the first. This is called the 'pinch and twist' technique.

13. Gently curl your twisted wires as in photo. Attach to the base under the dragonfly. Cut off excess wire and tuck tail under with pliers.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [05 Jul 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

TesoriTrovati said...

I went for a little inspiration journey through my bookshelf this past weekend and ended up re-reading all of Beyond the Bead and found some new ways of looking at things again. I am delighted that you have a new book. I look forward to seeing a copy of it! Congratulations, Miss Madge!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Georgee said...

I have a granddaughter that would love for me to make this for her. Thanks.

Karina.Zhen said...

Thanks for giving us a peek on one of the chapters! The dragonfly necklace is very cute and unique!