Write Yourself a Happy Ending

Image Copyright Enoch Bolles

I have many times been on my pretty horse going around the carousel preparing for that moment when I will reach out and grab the brass ring, and just as I grab it and have it in my hand for a fleeting moment of unfettered joy, it falls.

Which leads me to wonder, is it better to have had that ring or the promise of that ring than it is to get the plastic one?

One wonders, doesn't one?

Every choice we make has ripples that move outward into the universe. Some ripples create brass ring moments and others create the opposite. Sometimes something we set in motion takes years to wash up on the shore. I've come to a point where I realize that if something feels really wrong, even if it's something I think we really need to survive, it's probably a good idea to put it back on the shelf. A brass ring isn't worth much anyway. I am now, resolutely, deciding this.

Here's the thing. Though some folks might tell you differently, nothing good ever comes from moving from desperation. Even if you're down to your last penny and the landlord is twirling his mustache with a menacing glint in his eye and your cupboard is so bare there isn't even a cockroach who'd hang out there...even then...if you move from desperation and lack, you will reap more of the same. If you offer the landlord your dignity in exchange for another week's rent, you lose. You see because that's how you are perceiving yourself and your worth, that's how people get swept up in really bad movies. They simply don't see themselves as being worthy of the opposite of desperation. You are worth far, far more than one week's rent. Trust me.

That is the hardest lesson I've had to learn in this lifetime. I've been so far down, so desperate, so hungry that I have on multiple occasions made a decision that felt really wrong but concurrently felt necessary for survival. It's hard to keep faith when you're digging around in the couch cushions for change. I have signed on the dotted line and lived to regret it. Deeply. I have been swayed by the shiny promise of something in a pretty package that turned out to be an empty box.

My advice, both to myself and to you, gentle reader, is to remember that you have immense and incalculable value. Inside of you lies infinite potential. You are extraordinary. You are a uniquely fantastic creation. You deserve joy and success and love.

Do you know that part in the movie when the hero has survived their trials and everything is finally happy and sunny and little cartoon blue birds are singing and the music starts to change? You think, "Oh heck, something bad is about to happen" and then it happens and you think, "Oh no! It can't end like this, can it?"

As long as you're still breathing, it doesn't have to.

If you're feeling like the plucky heroine who is facing the giant demon with a small safety pin and a crap load of moxie, trust that you can prevail. You can triumph, you can seize joy.

Get out your pen and write yourself a happy ending.

Love
Madge

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it-

Anonymous said...

Love it. We have to be remindied to go with the gut feeling more often.

Sharon said...

Wonderful post. Makes me believe that giant demon is a Macy's Parade balloon and the safety pin is the best weapon of choice.

Jenny said...

Thank you so much for this post! It has come at the perfect time for me. We are in the middle of searching for a new home and have been through the wringer with continuous shenanigans and fraud from agents, Fannie Mae etc..... I had really been feeling down. So after reading your post I just finished writing myself the happy ending to it all. As I move forward I have promised myself not to act from a place of sheer desperation. Thank you for the reminder! Blessings to you!

Margot Potter said...

Anonymous, you are right on!

Margot Potter said...

I am holding that image in my mind, Mom!

Margot Potter said...

Jenny that makes me so very happy. As I struggle with life's big and little challenges, I hope that by sharing that struggle I'm helping others to feel like they can triumph and they can succeed too. And you can, don't let the bastards get you down, sista.

TesoriTrovati said...

I don't know what prompted you to write this, Miss Madge, but I can tell you that it is often overlooked that we have a choice. I think this is a great message. I also think it points to the resiliency of the human spirit. And I hope that no matter what fork in the road that you are faced with that we should believe that we have a choice, and that we have dignity and worth, and that life will continue going on. Keep going on, Miss Madge.
Enjoy the day!
xo
Erin

Mari said...

Madge
You did it again...Just as I was ready to sink, you grabbed my hand, stuck a pen in it and changed the inevitable...Characters in my stories do that, take over their lives from my words and do crazy wonderful daring things. Off I go with a merry thanks to Margot the amazing...
Mari

Unknown said...

i LOVe happy endings! that's why i always say my motto for life is crafts, drama, glitter - no matter what, it ends with a glimmer of light! great post, great words to share!! xo!

Pearl said...

As always, you offer such inspiration!

Thank you!

Andrew Thornton said...

I've been there too. Hard decisions where your own self-worth is questioned. I chose to forget those times and occasions completely. Poof! They are gone. I erase them so thoroughly that there isn't even eraser-dust left. I've learned, hard lesson after hard lesson, that my self-worth is great. You too, Margot Potter. You're a diamond. Glitter on!