Red Headed Step Child

Image from Mermaids Dover Books

I may have red hair (sometimes) and I may love fairy tales, but I don't love feeling like the red headed step child. And who does, really?

One of the toughest things in life is being unappreciated, especially when you work really hard and do quality work. The thing is, it happens. It happens a lot. Creativity is one of those things that isn't understood by folks who are not creative. It's subjective. Often you'll sit and scratch your head as people who really don't seem to deserve it, get showered with attention and your great ideas are patently ignored.

People are often easily impressed by fancy tricks, because let's face it, fancy tricks are impressive. At least until you figure out how they're done.

I'm not here to show folks how to do parlor tricks, I'm here to share the power of creativity with the people who feel they can't be creative because 'they aren't artists' and 'they don't have time'. I'd rather see those people make something their own, than see them copy something I've made. Anyone can make a hook rug, but how many people can design their own hook rug?

That's interesting to me.

When what you do isn't a fancy trick, because it's more subtle and understated, it's inevitable that not everyone is going to get what you're throwing down. The key is to surround yourself with people who do get it and to get away from people who do not. Being around people who treat you with indifference is soul sucking. Surround yourself with people who celebrate you and then celebrate them back. You deserve it. I deserve it. They deserve it. We all deserve to be cherished.

Anything less than that is unacceptable.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Love
Madge

8 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Rock on Madge. You are on original and I love that you celebrate that there is an artist in everyone. There is nothing I hate more than when people tell me they aren't creative. We are all called to be creative by whatever larger than life power you believe in. We are meant to create. I just think that people compare themselves too much to others to see that they have a creative nature too.
So rock on, dear Madge. You are an inspiration to me.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Geralyn Gray said...

Thank you for those words of wisdom.....sometimes on a Monday morning something like that is what you need to hear.......and sometimes you really have to take in all that is positive and realize the odds are there is some negative out there........but, we should take it all in..... but, most of all create to make ourselves happy!!!!!

Lorrie said...

Very uplifting words to read on a Monday morning. Creativity is a part of being human, and when some people don't "get it," I feel sorry for them and confused for me.

Hope your Monday is going well.

Carmi Cimicata said...

Just what I needed to hear this morning!

Margot Potter said...

I think what's wonderful is that we're all learning, growing, expanding and if we share what we learn, we all learn, grow and expand faster.

It's good stuff!

xoxo
Madge

Cyndi L said...

As another red head, I never quite understood that phrase when I was growing up. Red made me special, just like creativity makes me special. Just like all of us are unique and special in our own unique special way ;-) Rock on, sweetie!!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I never heard that phrase, but I sure know the feeling with respect to being creative.

Sometimes, I can just see people tune out if I go into too much detail about one of my art projects.

This site and the blogoshere in general are a godsend for us creative-type "misfits".

Tammy said...

I'm a blond, but I've felt the red hair thing myself often enough. Not everyone can "get you." So, move on to those who do ;)