My Redesigning Oscars Jewelry Set

A Bit of the Bubbly Necklace Copyright 2010 Margot Potter

After the Oscars this year, I posted about the dearth of fabulous necklaces and a German manufacturer of extraordinary clasps called Claspgarten.  They sent me a generous sampling of clasps and I finally had some free time to work on a design yesterday.  I found some vintage oversized faux pearl multi-strand necklaces at my local Goodwill a few months back and I took them apart to repurpose at a later date.  The pearls featured in this design are a smattering of what I scored.  I've added CRYSTALLIZED-Swarovski elements beads as end caps to solve the problem of the large pearl holes and to add a little sparkle that speaks back to the clasp.  This clasp is so gorgeous it simply had to be the focal element.


I played with very traditional Bridal sort of concept and then I decided I wanted to give this a more Justin Giunta Subversive inspired edge.  So out came the pearls and the chains and away went the precious idea of knots and perfect strands.  I would have gone with a more asymmetrical vibe or added pearls around the entire bottom chain row, but that would have taken away too much focus from the clasp.  After some prototype versions, I ended up with what I'm calling a vintage modern design.  I'm quite pleased with this one.  The chains and findings are all base metal and created by Beadalon.

(Note: The new materials used in this design were donated to the blogger, the faux pearls were a thrift store purchase.)

7 comments:

Davinia said...

Absolutely stunning Margot, love the little crystals on the pearls and the clasp is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! You were absolutely right about the clasp needing to be the focal piece. It's absolutely stunning. I especially love the incorporation of the repurposed faux pearls into this piece as well! Nicely done.

Margot Potter said...

Thank you! That clasp is exquisite and I didn't want to overdesign around it. It was a challenge for sure and I'm really happy with the result.

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [23 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Gabriela said...

Hello Margot,

I just had to leave you a comment on this absolutely stunning necklace! Love it!



~ Gabriela ~

Gemstone Jewelry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shai Williams said...

That clasp is to die for! Of course I love the whole necklace.