Four Seasons of Beading and The Card Album


I have really got to stop making these sweeping and definitive statements on my blog, because as soon as I make up a new rule...I change it! So our previously scheduled Holiday Fun (mostly) Facts posts is being pre-empted by some news and a product review! Huzzah!

Yesterday I got my copy of
Barb Switzer's new book for DRG called Four Seasons of Beading. I have two pieces on the front cover! Barb didn't even tell me! I was ticked pink when I opened the box.

Winter Whites Copyright Margot Potter 2009
Persephone Copyright Margot Potter 2009

The first piece is a refurbished vintage necklace to which I added a bunch of huge vintage faux pearls and vintage plastic drops. I was excited to get this one back to wear! The other is an autumnally inspired asymmetrical idea with mixed metals and a lovely
Kazuri fair trade bead along with a stunning Green Girl Studios shibuichi toggle clasp that I've repurposed as a pendant. These are both simple and striking ideas which suit the vibe of this book. Some of the biggest names in the bead world are included here and their designs are absolutely lovely. If you're looking for some design inspiration, this just might be your book. It's divided by seasons with a color palette for each at the start of the chapter. The designs are all basic stringing and wire working concepts that you could easily make in a flash.

I also wanted to share a very cool product designed by my fellow Crafty Blogger
Stefanie Girard of Sweater Surgery and Craftside fame. Stefanie came up with The Card Album which is an ingenious storage system for greeting cards. With my ever expanding vintage card collection taking over my studio, this is a perfect solution to store them and get them out of bins and up on shelves. Like most of the best ideas, this is one of those, "Why didn't I think of that?!" Any crafter who collects cards needs this and you can customize it if you'd like to give it as a gift to a bride to be or a new mom. Love it!

When you visit Stefanie's blog...check out the AWESOME
shrink plastic holiday necklace she created using techniques from my book Beyond the Bead! Wow!

I'm off to spin more straw into gold, but I'll be back tomorrow with the weekly link round up from the Crafty Bloggers Gang! Until then...craft on with your bad selves.

Cheers,
Madge

5 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Jinkies! Another beading book to add to my wish list (too bad it is too late for this Christmas...but there is always January, right?)
I love all that you do, and it is no wonder that you are a cover girl not once, but twice! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the day! Erin

Unknown said...

Beautiful work, Margot! And congratulations!
xoxo
jul

Liz Revit said...

Hi, Margot. Congrats on being on the cover of this new book! Love the pieces.

Barb did an awesome job with this book. I was so thrilled to receive my copy in the mail yesterday.

Thanks for stopping by!

Liz

Gabriela said...

Hello Madge,

Wow! I love pearls...wear pearls in my ears...and this necklace is fabulous! Majestic!


~ Gabriela ~

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.