Enchanted Adornments



This is a design I created upon request for artist Cynthia Thornton's exquisite new mixed media book Enchanted Adornments. This book is packed with techniques, ideas and absolutely stunning jewelry pieces. I was honored to be invited to create a piece for the gallery. This design uses some of my favorite Green Girl Studios coins, a netsuke mermaid, an antique chinese coin, a tiny glass vial with Art Glitter Institute glitter, Beadalon polyester chain, Thai hill tribe gold plated pendants and CRYSTALLIZED-Swarovski Elements in ocean themed colors all suspended from a lovely antique brass hammered chain. I added little wire mesh elements to mimic seaweed. The story is that this mermaid has collected a little treasure trove of items from the ocean floor she finds intriguing. I had the pendant for several years in my stash and was really happy to find a home for it.

If you love fantasy and magic, you'll love this book. If you love narrative design, you'll love this book. If you're looking for new tricks for your mixed media skill set, you'll love this book. It's beautiful, engaging and thoughtfully written. Cynthia's delightful illustrations are scattered throughout the pages of the book along with her extraordinary designs, a fairy tale and lots of great tips for the mixed media artist. Metal clay, polymer clay, mold making...there's so much here to explore.

I believe there is a palpable magic in the power of creativity and the Thornton clan seems to be particularly in tune with it. I highly, highly recommend this book for every jewelry designer's library. It truly is enchanting.

5 comments:

Jenniferbeads said...

Gorgeous! I can't wait to get the book. Just ordered it.

TesoriTrovati said...

This book is just dripping with inspiration. And your piece is so very special. I love that mermaid holding the pearl, my very favorite gem. Thansk for your inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

Andrew Thornton said...

I was so delighted to see that you participated in the gallery section of Enchanted Adornments! I really love how each of the pieces shows a different avenue and approach to mixed media jewelry with a magical flare! You're awesome!

Wendy T. Gibson said...

Congratulations Margot! Beautiful design! (Second mermaid sighting this week....) Thank you!

sandi said...

This book is a definite MUST HAVE. It's a wonderful read.
I especially like your piece - beautiful blend of materials.
sandi