Happy Birthday Avalon!


11 years ago on a snowy day in Pittsburgh I gave birth to the world’s coolest kid. It was evident from the moment she opened her huge blue eyes that this wasn’t your average, garden variety baby. She was magical. She was brilliant. She was beautiful. She was extraordinary. Everyone who saw her agreed wholeheartedly that this kid...had a whole heckuva lot of moxie, chutzpah, pizzazz and that certain touch of je ne sais quoi.


Today is the most auspicious 11th birthday of this most amazing young woman who keeps growing up even though I’ve asked her repeatedly to stop that. Why don’t children ever listen? I have a signed and sealed document in which she’s agreed to always hold my hand in public no matter how embarrassing it eventually becomes and to never, ever move away. Alright actually she’s pinky swear promised, but I think that should hold up in court, don’t you? Between you and me, of course I’d not hold her to those things but it makes a Mom feel better to pretend that they’re kids aren’t really going to grow up and leave. Sigh.

I’ve never loved anyone like I love my kid. She’s the best thing since sliced bread...oh heck she’s the best thing since dark chocolate dipped giant strawberries! How lucky am I to have given birth to such a miracle? Yes, I’m pinching myself as I type.

Ouch.

I’m off tomorrow for Tucson, but today it’s all about the superelasticbubbleplasticfunkyfabuloussparkletastic Avalon Wistar Potter!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVALON!

Love,
Mom Lady

3 comments:

Robin Beam said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday Dearrrrrrrrrrrrrr AVALONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN, Happy Birthday to you!

Love ya,

Robin

SecondChanceChicken said...

Happy Birthday Avalon & you have a cool name!
It's so wonderful to love our children and be amazed by their growth and change and intelligence and humor and on & on....I too have a magnificent daughter and a son i adore. How lucky our kids are to have us to give them quality time with us and the financial support to educate them and prepare them to suceed.
How the Hell is one women going to provide care and resources to 14 kids. She had 6 and just had 8 more. I want the Dr. who allowed the IVF of EIGHT EGGS to be held responsible for the support of these babies!!!!!!

violette said...

Happy Happy Birthday Avalon!
It's so wonderful to hear you speak so highly of your little bright spark!

Love, Violette