iLoveToCreate Retrofabulous Craft Wars Inspired Twister Lampshade


iLoveToCreate Retrofabulous: Craft Wars Inspired "Twister" Lampshade
Margot Potter
"These are your grandmother's crafts, ya gotta problem with that?"

Last week on Craft Wars the contestants had to DIY a lamp from an array of sun and safety glasses and craft closet schtuff for the Pop Craft challenge. I am on a mission these days to use up the vast and ridiculous amount of craft supplies that I already own. I could not justify buying new glasses and taking them apart to make a lamp. I also wasn't so excited about building a lamp. I'm impatient, have I mentioned that?

I put on the old thinking cap and began pondering lamps, iLoveToCreate adhesives and glasses...which morphed into a bag of glass pebbles, cardstock and a super cheap lamp from Target. I'm fond of repetition in design and I have a proclivity for circular shapes. I selected some colors from my pile of paper, punched out small circles and started mapping out a design. Mr. Potter joined the fun and we came up with this shade.
I couldn't figure out what was so familiar about these circles in these particular colors and then...it hit me! TWISTER! YAY!

And that's...how my mind works.  Scary, isn't it?!

(GLUE NOTES:  To attach the circles, we punched out Aleene's Fabric Fusion sheets, but it does make the punch sticky, so alternately you can try using *Aleene's Fabric Fusion tape cut with non-stick scissors in strips across back of circles.)

Follow the links at the bottom of this post to see what the other Craft Wars Vets made this week!

Materials
Small table top lamp with white shade
Cardstock in orange, blue, light yellow, dark yellow, green
Small clear glass flat back pebbles
Aleene's Fabric Fusion Sheets or *Tape
Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue

Tools
Fiskars 1" round circle punch
*Scissors



Cheryl whipped up a fabulous Day Bed Cover!
Andrea turned some zippers into a Perky Pillow!
Pattye shares lots of lovely DIY lamps!
Angela turns a skirt into an adorable upcycled lampshade!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i love This and i love your creativity i bet you dream of designing all the time i would love to wake and be creating with you that would be the coolest, and all your energy is like me you have such a auroa of colors around you which are fantastic.

Margot Potter said...

Aw, thanks Ms. Brenda! You know, it's fun to be able to make things for a living. Every day is an adventure. I love color too, it brings energy and joy to life.

You are awesome!

Cheers,
Madge

Pippa said...

Gorgeous!

sallyjenn said...

i love it, so colorful and cute!

sallyjenn said...

love it, so cute and colorful!!!

Amy* said...

This is so fun! Makes me want to break out my twister mat...or better yet turn it into an area rug to match the lamp :)

Amy*

kellystar said...

I'm trying to scroll through the 276 posts in my google reader today and here you are making me stop and say how AWESOME this is--love it!