iLoveToCreate Retrofabulous Crafts: Burnt Offerings Decoupage Necklace


iLoveToCreate Retrofabulous Crafts
Burnt Offerings Decoupage Necklace
Margot Potter

In 2009 I published a book called Beyond the Bead.  It is by far my favorite book.  I had a blast making beads and components out of all sorts of wonderful things I found in the aisles at the craft and hardware stores.  One of the projects in the book used old book pages, wooden craft stars and a wood burning tool to create the look of aged and burned charms.  I loved making it, I love wearing it and I thought I'd share it with you.  I've seen some similar projects making the rounds on Pinterest, but this is my version from a few years ago.  Aleene's Collage Pauge is an amazing medium with endless uses and here you can see how nicely it seals the old paper to create charms that look fragile, but are tough and durable.  Add a little Aleene's sealer spray and you've got a necklace that will last a lifetime.

Materials
Old book pages
Wooden craft stars
Traci Bautista Aleene's Collage Pauge Matte
Aleene's Spray Acrylic Sealer Matte
Tiny key charms
Crystal beads
Aged brass chain
Clasp
10mm gold tone or aged brass jump rings

Tools
Chain nose pliers
Bent nose pliers
Wood burning tool

Attach paper to star using Collage Pauge. Make all five stars at the same time, cutting the paper around them after they dry with scissors. 

Seal the top of the star with decoupage medium, after it dries repeat. Turn star over and repeat the process 
for the opposite side.  

Use a wood burning tool to CAREFULLY burn the edges of the stars and add some burned areas in the centers. Work in a ventilated area, take your time and be careful, the tool gets very hot. Did I mention it gets hot? Because it does. So be careful. After burning, spray with Aleene's Spray Sealer in matte.

If your stars are not pre-drilled, use a 1/16" drill bit to drill a hole at the top of one point on each star. Attach the stars and the charms and beads to the chain using jump rings and your bent and chain nose pliers.

1 comment:

Toltec Jewels for Jewel School Friends said...

Cool! I'm putting, "Beyond the Bead" on my wish list :)