Book Review: A Bead in Time by Lisa Crone



Book Review
A Bead in Time by Lisa Crone
North Light Books
Copyright 2010

Lisa Crone has written an absolutely charming book for the novice beader in search of inspiration.  With a decidedly clever window to design, she focuses on the personal and that's the perfect way to entice readers to move beyond the copycat phase of jewelry making into exploring their own design eye.  Through inspirational photographs and objects mined from the experiences of her daily life, she shows the reader how to explore color, texture, pattern and motif.  This approach to design is right up my alley, my second book explored a similar concept using a variety of inspiration images and objects to guide the new designer into new pathways of creativity.  What I love about Lisa's approach to the topic, is the personal, memory inspired, storytelling focus.  In fact, I think it really quite brilliant.

Even if you're a seasoned designer, this book will offer you a fresh set of ideas to explore in your work.  The designs are all pretty, wearable jewelry and not so artsy that they'll overwhelm the wearer.  This is jewelry you'll reach for over and over again.  It's the kind of jewelry that garners compliments because it compliments you so completely. 

The photographs do a wonderful job of illustrating the concept and you can really see the jewelry which is important if you're trying to figure out how to reproduce it.  The photo stylist and book designer did a wonderful job of letting Lisa's work shine.  There are a surprisingly wide variety of techniques explored in the book and a wonderful cross section of materials.  Lisa dabbles in a little bit of everything here from basic stringing, to wire work, to macrame, to bead weaving, to exposed wire concepts and even a little taste of mixed media.  It's fresh and cheerful and a wonderful addition to any jewelry designer's library and I guarantee you'll be inspired and delighted.

Visit Lisa's A Bead a Day Blog for her regular dose of beady inspiration.

Until next time...craft on with your bad selves!

xoxo
Madge

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Great review! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I follow Lisa's A Bead A Day blog and find her fun and fascinating. I am sure that this book will be the same. Enjoy the day! Erin

ohdawno said...

Just got my copy from Amazon the other day and have really been enjoying it. Lisa's enthusiasm and joy is completely contagious.

PS - have a great time at CHA - wish I could go! Hope the weather clears up a bit for you.

Lisa Crone said...

Hi Margot! My heart just did a flip flop when I saw my name on your blog. I don't know if I can accurately express here how much this means to me!! You give so much of yourself to others and that is clearly just plain who you are and why people are drawn to you!! Gosh, thank you from the bottom of my heart, I will treasure this! :)