Free Jewelry Project! Beyonce’s Lorraine Schwartz Golden Globes Inspired Beaded Necklace Set


Beyonce’s Lorraine Schwartz Golden Globes Inspired Beaded Necklace Set
Red Carpet Ready Choker and Earrings
Copyright 2008 Margot Potter
(Click on image to view close up)


This chic crystal choker was inspired by the Lorraine Schwartz design worn by Beyonce Knowles to the 2009 Golden Globes awards show I posted here. I loved the way it filled in her neckline, but still left plenty of open space for light and skin to play. I had to have something like it and being the crafty gal that I am, I spent the better part of my morning devising a pattern. My version is made of Beadalon Satin Silver wire and Create Your Style CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements crystal beads and is a bit more diminuitive in scale, so you can bet your sweet bippy this one is a lot more pocketbook friendly than the diamond and platinum version sported by Ms. Knowles. I can’t wait to wear this to an upcoming Swarovski Create Your Style CRYSTALLIZED™ cocktail party I’m attending in Tucson!

Materials
1 12mm crystal a/b flower pendant
9 6mm crystal a/b twist beads 4mm crystal a/b bicones
2 11x5.5mm crystal a/b tear drop beads (for earrings)
20 6mm crystal a/b rounds (4 for earrings)

208 4mm crystal a/b rounds (+8 for earrings)
1 large silver plated swivel lobster clasp
5 6mm silver plated jump rings
9 silver plated head pins
4 silver plated eye pins (for earrings)
1 3” length silver plated rolo chain
2 silver plated crimp covers
20 silver plated size 2 crimp tubes
.015 Satin Silver Beadalon wire

Tools
2 pairs chain nose pliers
Round nose pliers
Crimp tool
Mighty crimp tool
Wire cutters
Bead Board

Finished size 15-18” inches with extender chain

1. It really helps to get the core of this design on your bead board so you don’t skip any beads while you’re working along the design. Here is the core pattern: Start with 9 4mm rounds then use the following pattern: 6mm round, 2 4mm rounds, 6mm round, 3 4mm rounds and continue working around the board until you’ve added your ninth 6mm, 2 4mm, 6mm segment. Follow that with 9 4mm rounds.

2. Create 4 beaded head pins each with a 6mm twist bead on the bottom followed by 4 4mm bicones. Loop the tops.

3. Create 2 beaded head pins each with a 6mm twist bead on the bottom followed by 5 4mm bicones. Loop the tops.

4. Create 2 beaded head pins each with a 6mm twist bead on the bottom followed by 6 4mm bicones. Loop the tops.

5. Create 1 beaded head pin with a 6mm twist bead on the bottom followed by 7 4mm bicones. Loop the top.

6. Attach a 20” length of .015 Satin Silver wire to your lobster clasp with a crimp tube using your crimp tool.

7. Add your 9 4mm rounds to the wire. Cut off a 3” segment of wire and create a small loop by threading the wire into a crimp tube. Use chain nose pliers to smash tube flat. Add 13 4mm rounds to the wire. Thread wire into a second crimp tube and round wire so it’s not too stiff, then thread wire into crimp tube leaving a small loop before smashing flat with chain nose pliers.

8. Thread one loop on wire. Follow by your 6mm round, 4mm round, thread on your smallest beaded loop top head pin, another 4mm round, a 6mm round and the other loop on your wire. This creates a mini beaded swag. Move down three 4mm rounds and repeat using another small beaded loop top head pin.

9. This is your pattern for swags along the necklace. Each swag is inserted before and after your 6mm rounds. The swags graduate in size along with the beaded head pins. Here is your pattern: 15 4mm round swag and loop top dangle with 5 4mm rounds, 19 4mm round swag and loop top dangle with 6 4mm rounds and center of necklace is a 25 4mm round swag with a 7 4mm round loop top dangle. Repeat pattern in mirror of opposite side.

10. When you reach your final swag, add 9 more 4mm rounds and secure your necklace closed using a crimp tube and your crimp tool around a 6mm jump ring.

11. Slide a crimp cover over the crimp at the clasp. Use mighty crimp tool to gently close the bead over the crimp. Repeat for other side.

12. Attach a 3” section of rolo chain to the jump ring side of your clasp.

13. Slide a flower bead on a 6mm jump ring and attach to the end of your chain.

14. Create coordinating earrings by sliding a 4mm round, 6mm round and 4mm round on an eye pin and looping the top. Repeat for a second segment. Slide a tear drop on a 6mm jump ring and attach to one of your beaded segments. Attach the top of the segment to another beaded segment. Attach an ear wire to the top. Repeat for second earring.

Sources
Beads and pendants
CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements, wire and findings Beadalon.

Here's a pic of me wearing the necklace to see how it wears. (I suggest that you not click on this image unless you enjoy seeing a forty something woman without make-up in extreme close-up!)

16 comments:

Ring by Ring Designs said...

Great necklace, Madge. It looks beautiful on you too.
PS I mentioned your blog on mine this AM - about Golden Globe lack of necklaces. Bev

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I love this necklace!


~ Gabriela ~

Jai Johnson • JaiArt.Com said...

Wow. You did a FABULOUS job on the necklace! It looks fantastic!

Margot Potter said...

Thanks for the kind compliments. I can't wait to wear this out! If it looks this good without any make up or hair do, it's going to look great all glammed up!

Cheers,
Madge

gail said...

Hi Margot.. so beautiful. Great Job! I hope everything is going well. Its been busy, busy, busy! I need to get caught up on your blog. hugs, gail

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely gorgeous.
And you, FYI, look lovely without makeup!
Cheers from Barcelona! :)

Jocelyn Sass said...

What a beautiful necklace, Madge! I love it and want to make it! Problem is, I am a crochet designer, not a beader! Would you consider doing a video tutorial for us non-beaders? I know, I know; it's asking A LOT, but that necklace is gorgeous!

Kathryn said...

The necklace if fabulous! I would love to make this for my niece for her 17th birthday.

Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

I am not a beader either and agree with above poster that it would be wonderful and we would very much appreciate it if you could to a video tutorial of more pictures of the process so it would not be so intimidating to non-beaders to take the plunge and give it a go.

Margot Potter said...

Hey Gals

I'd love to make a video, but I'm simply out of time, hands and hours right now. Perhaps when I get back from my travels...or maybe I'll put this design into a book or a DVD. Glad to know that there is interest!

Cheers,
Madge

Anonymous said...

Your interpretation of the Lorraine Schwartz necklace is awesome! Whenever I see precious metal or precious gemstone jewelry I always try to think of ways that I could interpret in beadwork, but I never get around to it. I like that your version is "more diminutive in scale" I think it is more wearable for those of us that aren't going anywhere, like say, the Golden Globes?

lorrwill said...

Not only do I like your version of the necklace better, I even looked at the close up and your skin is gorgeous.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Michelle said...

Wow. That's amazing.

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful, will give it a go, thou am quiet new to the bead world opefully i get dis rite

Unknown said...

Nice job Margot! I thought I'd share my version as well! Such a fun project and very inspiring for us beaders! http://on.fb.me/1cMQAiw (this link goes to my facebook page) Cheers!

Margot Potter said...

Fabulous, thank you!

Anonymous said...

The necklace is gorgeous. Will definitely give it a go. Thanks for sharing, looks good on you too.